Physical Infrastructure

Ensuring your Physical Infrastructure up-to-date is critical to keeping pace with the technologies that are fundamental to today’s business environment. Trying to incorporate new technologies into an outdated PI design is like outfitting a Porsche with Herbie tires – think lost opportunity, overheating and eventual breakdown.

The increasing complexity of Physical Infrastructure environments requires an industry expertise that is fluent in the context of today’s market, whether you are implementing new VOIP or wireless, virtualizing, refreshing your existing Physical Infrastructure, building a New Data Center, expanding an existing Data Center, or initiating a NOC Build.

Carousel’s PI consultants understand that it can be hard to let go of Physical Infrastructure components which still manage to chug along. We also understand the tremendous potential for savings as data center electricity consumption continues to grow – doubling between 2001 and 2006 and anticipated to do so again in 2011. Today’s energy costs are the second-highest operating costs (behind labor) in 70% of data facilities worldwide, providing a significant opportunity for standardization, modularity, and scalability.

We offer a vendor-neutral, holistic approach to guide you through the complexities of your Physical Infrastructure initiative so you can best understand the reasoning behind our suggestions. Our expertise with over 2,000 site rollouts and an in-house state-of-the-art Network Operations Center for remote monitoring can address any PI challenge you are facing, not to mention decrease your kilowatt-hours and energy costs significantly, making it easy for you to cut the cord on your legacy equipment. We’ll have your PI running smoothly and with maximum efficiency, leaving your competition in the dust.

Key Benefits

In-House Design Expertise - Our in-house house physical infrastructure team is ready to design, implement and manage your entire physical infrastructure. We assess your current infrastructure and recommend a cost effective and efficient solution based on TIA-942 (Telecommunications Industry Association), NFPA (National Fire Prevention Association) code 72E & 75 Standard for the Protection of Information Technology Equipment, ASHRAM Thermal Guidelines for Data Processing Environments, EIA-310-D Cabinets, Racks, Panels and Associated Equipment, NEC (National Electrical Code) Standards and Gartner Best Practices.

Guidance Every Step of the Way - Carousel’s Project Managers provide a single point of contact through your implementation and roll-out, coordinating with multiple vendors to create the best possible business outcome with the lowest exposure to risk. Our team-based approach may incorporate contractors such as electricians, plumbers, mechanical, engineering, carpenters, riggers and movers to ensure every aspect of your project is addressed appropriately.

Opportunity for Efficiencies - Even small adjustments in your Physical Infrastructure can have huge payoffs. In a typical data center, only 30% of the electricity is used by the IT equipment. The remaining 70% is consumed by chillers, UPS systems, computer room air conditioners, power distribution units, and other infrastructure components. Data centers typically draw more than twice as much power as their IT loads require, of which a significant portion can be avoided.

In a typical data center, only 30% of the electricity is used by the IT equipment. The remaining 70% is consumed by chillers, UPS systems, computer room air conditioners, power distribution units, and other infrastructure components.

Energy Monitoring for “Go Green” Initiatives - Many customers have a “Go Green” directive and are always trying to reduce their carbon footprint - the challenge is they don’t have a real measurable base line to work from. We can design a system that will measure and analyze your power from the service entrance to the desk top using an open source IP based solution architecture.

Minimize Impending Cost Increases - Power costs could easily overtake hardware costs over the next few years, possibly by a wide margin. Finding ways to optimize energy is a wide investment for data center managers in order to better deal with these anticipated cost increases.

State-of-the-Art NOC - Carousel’s Network Operations Center (NOC) monitors Voice, Data Networks and Physical Infrastructure and is staffed by Tier 2, 3, and 4 converged engineers. Carousel uses monitoring to pro-actively monitor your entire data infrastructure 24/7.

Physical Infrastructure Partners

Carousel holds top partner status and certification with many leading technology companies.

Through these relationships, we provide complete end-to-end services and solutions. These certifications are only given to business partners who have met rigorous requirements for technical expertise and customer satisfaction. These distinctions are a direct result of the talent, dedication, and commitment of the Carousel team including pre-sales engineering, project management, post-sales support, account management, and training.

  • APC

  • Schneider Electric

  • Eaton

  • Black Box

To learn more about our partner’s products and how they apply to our Physical Infrastructure solutions, please contact us at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

Our Offerings

Carousel offers a variety of services designed to enhance our customers’ Physical Infrastructure. These services include, but are not limited to, the lists below.

Power Assessments, Hardware, Warranties and Service Contracts

  • Cooling Assessments, Hardware, Warranties and Service Contracts
  • Space Allocation and Optimization
  • Cable Management
  • Fire Suppression
  • Building Structure
  • Site Selection
  • Data Center Security Access
  • Operations
  • Green Data Centers
  • Business Continuance
  • Custom Carousel Solutions

Below are a few brief examples of our design deliverables. We offer professional layouts in Visio, and if required we provide stamped CAD / architectural drawings, accommodating a wide customer base from the simplest IDF's to the most demanding data center designs.

  • Floor Plan 1

  • Floor Plan 2

  • Floor Plan 3

All of our PI recommendations are based on TIA-942 (Telecommunications Industry Association), NFPA (National Fire Prevention Association) code 72E & 75 Standard for the Protection of Information Technology Equipment, AFCOM, ASHRAE Thermal Guidelines for Data Processing Environments, EIA-310-D Cabinets, Racks, and Associated Equipment, NEC (National Electric Code) Standards and Gartner Best Practices.


We offer the following Data Center applications for increased efficiency.

  • Consolidation and Moves
  • Acceleration
  • Faster Speed
  • More Processors
  • Enhanced Applications
  • Virtualization
  • Network Optimization
  • Blade Technology
  • Right Sizing

We offer the following CIPI Design capabilities.

  • Power Assessment
  • Cooling Assessment
  • Space Allocation & Optimization
  • Cable Management
  • Fire Suppression
  • NOC Design and Build Out including Initial Design
  • AutoCAD Layouts
  • 3D Color Rendering
  • Building Structural
  • Site Selection
  • Data Center Security
  • Operations
  • Business Continuance and Operations
  • Custom & Standard Build Rack Solutions
  • Best Practices

Strategic Delivery Framework

We follow a specific Strategic Delivery Framework (SDF) for the duration of your project to ensure we meet your anticipations and proposal requirements.

Carousel’s SDF has five steps, providing structure from initial Envisioning Phase to Project Completion, through all post-deployment Managed Services. In the Envisioning Phase we work with you to assess all of your Physical Infrastructure needs, including but not limited to Power, Cooling, Rack and Cabling, Fire Suppression, Physical Security, and post-implementation managed services. We provide you with a detailed proposal, backed by consultative guidance to ensure all of your challenges are addressed. We create a detailed timetable so all parties are in synch, adhering strictly to it to ensure project completion at the anticipated time. We leverage the best of our managed service offerings, including extended hardware warranties, on-site service contracts, phone technical support, and remote monitoring services, to ensure a completely seamless experience for the customer.

Physical Infrastructure: Contact Us

Please fill in the form below to get in touch with us.
Or email us directly: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)